The last few days have been a real blur of activity. My mom coming to visit on the weekend was a really great reminder of just how much you need your family sometimes and how even just a simple hug, kiss or chat with them can make all the difference in shaping your worldview differently again.
I realise how lucky I am to have a mother who has always been there to support me with her encouraging words and who is willing to drop everything at a call to come and support me (in a different country no less!) when I need her guidance.
Having started back at work again I also realised how important it is to build up a solid network of colleagues who you know have your best interests at heart. However, I also realised that feedback is a huge huge huuuuggeeee asset in not only shaping the views of those around you (if you know how to give and receive constructive feedback more often than not you will be well respected for this), but also in re-constructing the reality around you.
Sometimes it really just takes one conversation and the knowledge that someone is there to listen (and in some cases can even help change a situation) to make an otherwise seemingly hopeless scenario that much better.
It’s definitely been an interesting few days.
66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – GOALS FOR DAY 12
- Why? It’s the second day off sick leave and I’m finally allowed to go out. After several weeks cooped in the house it can be difficult to get back in the swing of exercise, so may as well help myself with this one by adding an awesome daily goal!
- Cook a Breakfast with Vegetables
- Why? I’ve been trying to continue on the track of healthy eating and since mom is here to visit and she has some special dietary requirements it seems fitting to use the opportunity to help her help me attain my goal of constructing a healthier regular diet.
66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – GOALS FOR DAY 13
- Ace Day 1 back at work
- Why? Pretty simple, but after being away for three weeks the fear of inbox messages, escalations and such is real. Nothing better than a motivating goal to swing you back into productivity and action!
- Call a friend I haven’t spoken to in a while
- Why? In the past I’ve been notoriously bad at keeping in touch with people I care about, which is something I really want to change. That being the case I think it’s going to be important to get into the habit of reaching out to the people I care about more regularly and making sure they’re ok. Thank you goals for keeping me on track!
66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – GOALS FOR DAY 14
- Identify Work Priorities
- Why? It’s been a little bit crazy at work for a number of months now and having a new boss has certainly added some interesting challenges to the mix. Never one to be discouraged from a good puzzle though and always looking for a way to succeed and add value to my business, I think it’s time for a priority review to check on what will be needed from me in the next few weeks… plus it’ll be a great way to help me with my handover plan once I start travelling again next week.
- Go For Dinner with Friends
- Why? I believe socialising is really important in trying to lead a well balanced and rounded life. Since I’ll be travelling again at the end of the week I, therefore, figured I need to get some quality time in with those I care about before I leave – and to give me the ‘umph’ required to get up and go globetrotting around the world. Friendship re-charge activated!
66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – EXPERIENCES FROM DAY 12-14
Day 12 – Sunday funday is what they call it and that is for a reason. Mom and I had a fabulous time bonding today. We spent time at the swimming pool getting some exercise in and then chilling and chatting in the jacuzzi and the sauna. There’s really nothing better than spending some quality mother-daughter time together. I love my mommy! 🙂
Day 13 – The first day back at work was pretty challenging but also super productive, especially considering some pretty significant changes happened while I was out. Key leadership left and changed roles, new walls were put up in the office (I got lost twice trying to find my desk!) and let’s not even start with all the stacked up emails that were waiting for me. Having said that though… I finally was able to pick up a book I had been waiting for (The Kindness Journal by Natasha Sharma), I got to sign up for a free flu jab and I also managed to finish my booking for my business trip to the US and Mexico next week. Now if that’s not something to get excited about then I don’t know what is – woot woot! 😀
Day 14 – Today was all about making changes. I had a moment at work today where I realised how dissatisfied I had become with certain aspects of my job situation and that if I wanted to give myself a chance to change things then I had to speak up. So I did. I went and spoke to a program co-ordinator, explained my observations on how workplace re-organisations had affected myself and my positions and it seems as though I may receive some support in changing the circumstances – either through a responsibility change or a job change. Either way it was great to have a listening ear… and even greater to know that I can and will stand up for myself and what I believe in when I need to make a change. Go me!
66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – VERDICT FOR DAY 12-14
It only takes a moment to change your outlook in life. It takes a moment of inspiration, a moment where everything else you’ve been focusing on vanishes and a moment where the not so great thoughts that may have been lingering in your mind vanish for a breakthrough to occur.
I noticed this in the past few days as small moments of inspiration started appearing and I consciously started taking note of them and reinforcing the positive messages in my mind.
Given the confusion in my mind the last few weeks it was these moments of inspiration that led to a calm acceptance that things will turn out well – regardless of what decisions are taken. For everything in life is an experience and it is up to us to make the experience one that is worthwhile!
Posts in this Series
- 66 Days without Social Media Challenge – Introduction
- 66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – Day 1
- 66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – Day 2
- 66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – Day 3
- 66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – Day 4
- 66 Days Without Social Media Challenge – Day 5